16 Aug UPDATE: Small Business Forum
Due to the severe weather conditions in Calgary, we are taking this event online.
You can view the full conversation here.
Small businesses are the most important driver of our economy. According to Calgary Economic Development, 95% of businesses in Calgary employ less than 50 employees and 65% have less than four employees. I am concerned about the stresses being put on small business in Alberta and Calgary in particular.
As your representative in the Alberta Legislature, I would like to hear directly from you. Representatives from ATB, WCB, an expert in small business labour law, the City of Calgary licensing/permitting department and Calgary’s small business community will be included on a panel to discuss issues and hear your suggestions for solutions.
What can be done to decrease red tape in Alberta? How can the government better support small business? What incentives could be used to unlock investment and create jobs?
Some of the issues I’ve heard about include:
- Red Tape (Alberta received an “F” rating on red tape from the Canadian Federation of Independent Business)
- Minimum Wage increase ($15/hour)
- New regulations: Employment Standards Code (leaves, overtime, rest periods, compressed work weeks, deductions, holiday pay, etc)
- WCB Policy Changes (Obligation to Reinstate, Interim Relief, Removal of maximum insurable earning cap, expanded psychological coverage)
- No WCB rebate in 2018
- Potential WCB funding policy changes